Thursday, April 25, 2013

Storing Kale and Other Greens

So there is a ton of sites with a ton of tips on how to store Kale or Lettuce prior to use. So I figured I would throw my hat in the ring too.

Here is how I do it, I am not the first or the originator of this method, just something I read about a while ago, tried, and liked, so here it is.

First I thoroughly wash my leafy green, in this case Kale. To do this, I tear the leaves off of the stalk (my blender can't handle the stalk without leaving chunks when I make smoothies) and then let it soak for about 5 minutes or so. Once it has soaked, I place the kale in the strainer part of my salad spinner and spray it with water.


Then I spin the Kale in the spinner removing as much of the excess water as possible.



After the Kale is dry-ish, lay it flat on a tea towel (a.k.a kitchen towel).

Roll the Kale in the towel.

Them wrap the ends of the towel with rubber bands to hold the contents in. You will end up with a tootsie roll shape.


















Then just place your tootsie roll of Kale in your vegetable drawer if you have the room, if not, I have put mine on any shelf in the refrigerator.

In my opinion the Kale stays fresher longer this way. I use this method with my Romaine Lettuce as well with equally good results.

No comments:

Post a Comment